Allegra For Dogs – A Complete Pet Owner’s Guide:
What Is Allegra?
Allegra is a natural extract from the bark of the tree Alnus communis (also known as the Chinese Holly). It was first discovered in China in the year 1820. Since then it has been used medicinally for centuries, mainly to treat coughs and colds. It has also been used to relieve itching due to insect bites and burns.
The active ingredient in Allegra is called alizarin. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which causes allergic reactions. Histamine is a chemical that causes inflammation in your body when it comes into contact with certain substances such as pollen, mold spores, dust mites and other allergens.
How Does Allegra Work On Dog Allergies?
It helps reduce symptoms caused by allergy like sneezing, watery eyes and runny nose. It may also help ease skin rashes.
Does Allegra Help With Other Health Issues?
Yes, it can help with asthma, hay fever, eczema and many other health issues. Some studies have shown that it can even prevent cancer! If you are concerned about your pet’s well being, you should always consult a veterinarian before taking any medication. You will need to make sure that the dosage is appropriate for your pet’s condition.
Who Should Not Take Allegra?
There are certain health issues that will prevent you from taking Allegra. You should ask your physician before taking these drugs, if you have:
• A hypersensitivity to allegra or other related medication
• A breathing problem such as asthma
If you experience serious side effects such as hives, swelling of the face or trouble breathing immediately after taking allegra, seek immediate medical attention.
How Should You Take Allegra?
Allegra is available as a non-drowsy, chewable tablet. It can also come in different forms for different uses.
You should take it 15 to 30 minutes before you are exposed to the allergen that is causing your symptoms. You should continue taking it daily.
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Allegra?
Some of the side effects you may experience are:
• Upset stomach
If these become severe, you should seek immediate medical attention. Other side effects that you may experience include:
• Blurred vision or headache
If these persist or worsen, seek immediate medical treatment. If you take allegra with certain other drugs it can increase the risk of side effects occurring. Always consult a physician before combining it with other medication.
What Is The History Of Allegra?
The drug has been around since 1973. It was the first of the third generation of non-sedating antihistamines to be used as an over-the-counter antihistamine. It comes in both tablet and liquid forms.
Allegra is manufactured by Johnson and Johnson’s pharmaceutical company. It is available by prescription and over the counter.
What Is The Future Of Allegra?
Allegra is constantly being researched to determine its other uses. Studies have shown that it can prevent cancer, especially in the lungs. It is also being tested as a potential treatment for SARS.
However the biggest research is being done in its ability to help prevent the spread of HIV. It has shown some promise, but more testing needs to be done on humans, before it is proven to work.
If you have any questions on allegra or other products on our site, a pharmacist is available to speak to seven days a week. Please call 1-800-TRY-ZAMEST or send a question using our online form.
Sources & references used in this article:
- Effect of lunar cycle on temporal variation in cardiopulmonary arrest in seven emergency departments during 11 years (DW Alves, JR Allegra, DG Cochrane… – European Journal of …, 2003 – journals.lww.com)
- In Vitro Release Behavior of Fexofenadine Capsules and its Pharmacokinetic Studies in Beagle Dogs (C YUAN, K PENG, S OU, C YIN – Herald of Medicine, 2011 – en.cnki.com.cn)
- A sensitive high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with solid-phase extraction for determination of fexofenadine in beagle plasma (L Ma, L Yin, J Sun, Z He – Journal of Chinese Pharmaceutical …, 2005 – en.cnki.com.cn)
- Regional cerebral metabolic patterns demonstrate the role of anterior forebrain mesocircuit dysfunction in the severely injured brain (EA Fridman, BJ Beattie, A Broft… – Proceedings of the …, 2014 – National Acad Sciences)
- Present (A Stewart, G Stein – 1967 – search.heritageburnaby.ca)
- Gender nonconformity as a target of prejudice, discrimination, and violence against LGB individuals (AR Gordon, IH Meyer – Journal of LGBT Health Research, 2007 – Taylor & Francis)