Best Dogs For First Time Owners:
The following are some of the most popular types of dogs which are suitable for first time owners. These animals are usually friendly and sociable, but they may not have the same drive or enthusiasm as their larger companions. They tend to be more laid back and mellow than other types of pets. Some of these pets are used in various activities such as therapy, obedience training, agility and even hunting.
Small Dog Breeds For First Time Owners:
These are the most common small dog breeds which are suitable for first time owners. They tend to be smaller than their larger counterparts and they tend to be less demanding when it comes to training. Most of them can be trained within a few days and they will respond well to positive reinforcement techniques. Some of these breeds include:
Beagles (also known as Beagle mixes)
Large Dog Breeds For First Time Owners:
These are some of the largest dog breeds which are suitable for first time owners. They tend to be gentle giants and they will usually only bark when someone is at the door. Most of these dogs can easily be trained with positive reinforcement techniques, but it is important to establish yourself as the alpha member of the pack as soon as you get them home. Some of these dog breeds include:
These are some of the best dog breeds which are suitable for first time owners. Dogs can be great companions for children and pets make great friends for adults, especially first time owners.
Like this: Like Loading…
Sources & references used in this article:
- Pet dogs as attachment figures for adult owners. (LA Kurdek – Journal of Family Psychology, 2009 – psycnet.apa.org)
- Psychometric testing of the Helsinki chronic pain index by completion of a questionnaire in Finnish by owners of dogs with chronic signs of pain caused by … (AK Hielm-Björkman, H Rita… – American journal of …, 2009 – Am Vet Med Assoc)
- Great expectations, inconvenient truths, and the paradoxes of the dog-owner relationship for owners of brachycephalic dogs (RMA Packer, DG O’Neill, F Fletcher, MJ Farnworth – PloS one, 2019 – journals.plos.org)
- Dogs’ social referencing towards owners and strangers (I Merola, E Prato-Previde, S Marshall-Pescini – PloS one, 2012 – journals.plos.org)
- Long-term stress levels are synchronized in dogs and their owners (AS Sundman, E Van Poucke, ACS Holm, Å Faresjö… – Scientific reports, 2019 – nature.com)
- Reliability and validity of a visual analogue scale used by owners to measure chronic pain attributable to osteoarthritis in their dogs (AK Hielm-Björkman, AS Kapatkin… – American journal of …, 2011 – Am Vet Med Assoc)