If Your Dog Eats Chocolate, And What Happens If They Do?
What happens when your dog eats chocolate? Is it bad or dangerous for him? How long will it take before he gets sick from eating chocolate?
These are some questions that many pet owners ask themselves. There is no simple answer to these questions because there are so many factors involved. However, there are some things you can do to protect yourself and your family member’s health while they eat chocolate!
When Your Dog Eats Chocolate: Symptoms Of Eating Chocolate
The first thing you need to know is that there are different types of symptoms associated with eating chocolate. Some dogs may not get sick at all, but others might have vomiting, diarrhea or even death due to heart failure.
You can read more about the various symptoms here.
Symptoms of Eating Chocolate: Vomiting, Diarrhea & Death Due To Heart Failure (Video)
Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?
There are two main types of foods that can cause problems for dogs – those that contain ingredients such as milk, eggs, wheat or soy which can cause digestive upset and those that contain sugar. Most dogs don’t react badly to dairy products, but it is best to avoid any food containing wheat or soy. Sugar causes stomach upsets in most animals including humans and can lead to liver damage and other diseases. You should also limit the amount of chocolate treats you give your dog as it contains sugar.
Does Chocolate Poison Dogs?
Many people refer to chocolate as a type of poison, but that isn’t really true. It does contain ingredients that can cause health problems for dogs. The problem stems from the fact that chocolate is extremely toxic to dogs and can kill them if enough of it is ingested. As little as a single ounce of Baker’s Chocolate has been known to kill a small dog! If your dog ingests a significant amount of chocolate you should take him to the veterinarian immediately.
How Long Does It Take For Chocolate To Affect A Dog?
The first signs of anything going wrong will probably be vomiting, often quite a lot. This can happen within a couple of hours, but it can also take as long as twenty-four hours. If your dog shows any signs of illness you should get him to a veterinarian as soon as possible.
What Happens If My Dog Eats Chocolate?
If your dog eats a small amount of chocolate (up to 20 grams or 0.71 ounces) it is not likely to have any serious side effects. It is possible for him to feel sick, but this isn’t common. Eating more than this (a lot more) can lead to a number of problems from mild discomfort to seizures and death.
How Much Chocolate Is Too Much For A Dog?
The amount of chocolate that can prove fatal to a dog varies from breed to breed. Smaller dogs are more likely to die after eating the same amount that a larger dog can handle. It also depends on the type of chocolate and how it was made. For example, homemade chocolate is often more dangerous than the commercially produced stuff. Even white chocolate has proven to be toxic to dogs.
Sources & references used in this article:
- Why we love dogs, eat pigs, and wear cows: An introduction to carnism (M Joy – 2020 – books.google.com)
- Focus on inclusion: using readers theatre to foster fluency in struggling readers: a twist on the repeated reading strategy (BJTDJ Chard – Reading & Writing Quarterly, 2000 – Taylor & Francis)
- Chocolate fever (N Simon – 1976 – Albert Whitman and Company)
- Melting chocolate and melting snowmen: Analogical reasoning and causal relations (RK Smith – 2006 – books.google.com)