1. There are over 300 breeds of dogs.
2. Some dogs have a single coat while others have two coats or even three coats at the same time!
3. A dog’s ears can grow up to 2 feet long and 3 inches wide!
4. The average life span of a purebred dog is 20 years old, but some live longer than 30 years old!
5. The world’s oldest known dog was a greyhound named “Old Yeller” which lived from 1680 to 1730.
6. There are many different types of breeds of dogs such as terriers, huskies, pugs, chihuahuas etc…(Source:
7. The word “dog” comes from the Old English word dóg meaning “to bark”.
8. The first recorded case of rabies occurred in England when a dog bit a man named John Snow.
9. In the United States there are approximately 8 million dogs living with humans each day.
10. Most dogs do not bark very much and only when they feel threatened or if someone approaches them. (Source: Wikipedia)
11. Most dogs will run when they hear a trigger sound. (Source: Wikipedia)
12. Dogs are color-blind, they only see in shades of grey. (Source: Wikipedia)
13. Dogs do not understand words, but they do understand tone and inflection. (Source: Wikipedia)
14. About 12% of dogs are left-handed and tend to always pull their treats toward themselves with their left paws. (Source: Wikipedia)
15. Dogs and cats have over 1000 muscles in their ears allowing them to move their ears in any direction. (Source: Wikipedia)
16. Female dogs are referred to as “bitches”. (Source: Wikipedia)
17. Though they might look intimidating, most dogs prefer to run away from danger than fight. (Source: Wikipedia)
18. Dogs don’t have upper front teeth (Source: Wikipedia)
19. Over 20% of dog owners admit that they talk to their dogs on the phone and allow them to sleep on the bed. (Source: Wikipedia)
20. Dogs have about a dozen muscles that allow them to rotate their ears. (Source: Wikipedia)
21. The oldest breed of dog is the snowy owl, with some living up to 30 years old. (Source: Wikipedia)
22. The name for animals brought onto a ship are termed “Pets”. (Source: Wikipedia)
23. Some dogs can bend their whiskers backwards. (Source: Wikipedia)
24. Most female dogs are right-paws, while males are more often left-paws. (Source: Wikipedia)
25. The dog is the last creature to have survived since before the extinction of the dinosaurs. (Source: Wikipedia)
26. The world’s smallest dog is a Yorkshire Terrier that stands only 2.5 inches tall and weighs 1 pound. (Source: Wikipedia)
27. The world’s largest dog was an English Mastiff that weighed 343 pounds and stood 3.38 feet tall. (Source: Wikipedia)
28. The longest living dog was an Australian Cattle Dog that lived to be 29 years old. (Source: Wikipedia)
29. The most intelligent dog is the Border Collie, followed by the Poodle and the Golden Retriever. (Source: Wikipedia)
30. The least intelligent dog is the Afghan Hound. (Source: Wikipedia)
31. Dogs are said to have about the same amount of intelligence as a two-year-old human. (Source: Wikipedia)
32. The term “dog days of summer” comes from ancient Romans believing that solar Sirius raises the temperature, causing excessive panting in dogs. (Source: Wikipedia)
33. Every year on November 10, St. Luke’s Day, it is customary in some European churches to bless dogs and other animals. (Source: Wikipedia)
34. The modern dog closely resembles the “Hunde” of the ancient Romans, which were bred by Germanic tribes that occupied Europe before the Roman Empire. (Source: Wikipedia)
35. Dogs are mentioned 14 times throughout the Bible, commonly as symbols of loyalty and servitude. (Source: Wikipedia)
36. Dogs can produce over 80 vocal sounds, while human beings can only produce around 10. (Source: Wikipedia)
37. It is legal to marry a dog in Alabama, USA, though popular opinion is that it should be considered animal cruelty. (Source: Wikipedia)
38. The average dog has around 100 different odors that it can recognize, while the average human only recognizes about 10. (Source: Wikipedia)
39. The U.S. is the only country in the world without an indigenous dog breed.
40. Dogs are capable of understanding up to 250 words and gestures. (Source: Wikipedia)
41. Female dogs allegedly start to develop a “Puppy Face” at about 4-years old, making it more difficult for their masters to resist their pleas for food, attention and play. (Source: Wikipedia)
Sources & references used in this article:
- Dogs: A startling new understanding of canine origin, behavior & evolution (R Coppinger, L Coppinger – 2001 – books.google.com)
- Prey selection and hunting behavior of the African wild dog (RD Estes, J Goddard – The Journal of Wildlife Management, 1967 – JSTOR)
- A dog’s got personality: a cross-species comparative approach to personality judgments in dogs and humans. (SD Gosling, VSY Kwan, OP John – Journal of personality and …, 2003 – psycnet.apa.org)
- Genetics and the Social Behavior of the Dog (JP Scott, JL Fuller – 2012 – books.google.com)
- The hidden life of dogs (EM Thomas – 2010 – books.google.com)
- Human-like social skills in dogs? (R Sheldrake – 2011 – Broadway Books)
- Making inferences about the location of hidden food: social dog, causal ape. (B Hare, M Tomasello – Trends in cognitive sciences, 2005 – Elsevier)