How To Calm An Over Excited Dog?
The first thing to do when your dog starts acting like a crazy person is to get him or her under control. You need to take them somewhere where they won’t cause any harm. There are many things you can try:
1) Take them outside and put some distance between yourself and the situation.
If possible, go into another room where there will be no one around (or even better, close the door).
2) Try to keep your dog inside until it calms down.
If you have to leave the house, make sure you don’t forget your keys! Leave the house quickly and quietly.
3) Call a friend or family member to come with you so that they can watch out for the dog while you’re gone.
They might not believe what’s going on right away, but if they stay with the dog long enough, they’ll eventually realize something isn’t quite right.
4) If none of these options work, call the police.
5) Don’t worry about getting caught; just tell the officer what happened and ask them to send someone else.
Remember, you didn’t actually break anything!
If all else fails, you could always shoot your dog. Of course this is very dangerous since it’s extremely likely that the police will think that you did it anyway.
What NOT to do:
1) Don’t yell or scream at the dog.
It will only make it worse.
2) Don’t touch the dog unless you want to get bitten (or worse).
3) Don’t turn your back on the dog.
If you aren’t safe, then neither is anyone else!
If you’ve tried your best to calm the dog down, but nothing has worked, remember that you can always shoot it!
Hopefully this guide will help you next time your dog gets a little too excited.
Any other ideas?
Be sure to leave them in the comments section below!
Sources & references used in this article:
- On talking terms with dogs: Calming signals (T Rugaas – 2006 – books.google.com)
- How to run a puppy party: social saviour or social demon? (C Hargrave – The Veterinary Nurse, 2014 – magonlinelibrary.com)
- How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond (C Millan, MJ Peltier – 2009 – books.google.com)