Low Shedding Dogs – The Best Breeds For Limiting Fur
The following are some of the best low shedding breeds:
Portugal Water Dog (PWD) – The PWD is one of the most popular and well known breeds. They have a long history dating back to ancient times. They were used as guardians and guards in ancient Greece and Rome. These dogs are extremely intelligent and loyal. They make excellent guard dogs.
Their coat is very thick, but not excessively so.
They shed little if at all. Their coats tend to be slightly oily, which makes them great for those with allergies or sensitive skin types.
German Shepherd Dog (GSD) – German Shepherds are considered the “gold standard” of working dog breeds. They are highly trained and extremely obedient.
Their coats tend to be short and dry, making them ideal for those with dry skin types.
Doberman Pinscher (DPB) – Dobermans are known as the “working dog of choice”. They are incredibly strong and durable. These dogs are usually bred from working stock that was originally bred to hunt game animals such as deer, boar, bear etc. These dogs are very loyal and affectionate towards their owners.
These dogs do not shed and similar to the PWD their coats are also slightly oily.
Havanese – The Havanese is one of the most affectionate dog breeds. They are small and stocky. They have a long, fluffy coat that requires regular grooming. Havanese dogs have a long history of being kept as pets in royal courts all across Europe for their hypoallergenic qualities.
These dogs do not shed.
Xoloitzcuintli – The Xolo is one of the oldest dog breeds. They have been kept as pets in Mesoamerica for at least 3,000 years. These dogs are smaller than most but incredibly sturdy and durable. Their coat contains both coarse and fine hairs, giving it a “peppercorn” type of look.
They shed a moderate amount, but they are extremely clean dogs that rarely smell.
Poodle (All Varieties) – The Poodle is a very intelligent, versatile breed. They come in three standard sizes: Standard, Miniature and Toy. They have curly coats that are prone to shed a moderate amount.
These dogs are very playful and always up for an adventure.
Bichon Frise – The Bichon comes in three variations: the Bolognese, the Lavender and the Tenerife. These variations each have slightly different coats, but they all contain a lot of fluffy fur.
These dogs are very playful and usually enjoy being around children.
Low Maintenance Dogs That Don’t Shed
The following dog breeds are some of the lowest maintenance breeds out there. They don’t shed and they don’t smell:
Irish Water Spaniel
Schnauzer (Mini, Standard and Giant)
Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier
Low Maintenance Dogs That Shed Only Slightly
These dogs only shed a little bit. They’re some of the lowest maintenance dogs out there:
Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier
Sources & references used in this article:
- Can f 1 levels in hair and homes of different dog breeds: lack of evidence to describe any dog breed as hypoallergenic (DW Vredegoor, T Willemse, MD Chapman… – Journal of allergy and …, 2012 – Elsevier)
- Coat colour in dogs: identification of the Merlelocus in the Australian shepherd breed (B Hédan, S Corre, C Hitte, S Dréano, T Vilboux… – BMC veterinary …, 2006 – Springer)
- Breeding the Red dog or dhole Cuon alpinus at Moscow Zoo (IP Sosnovskii – International Zoo Yearbook, 1967 – Wiley Online Library)
- Reversible dog coat (…, Game, Fur-bearing Animals – 1914 – The Mortimer co., ltd.)
- Reproductive potential of Echinococcus multilocularis in experimentally infected foxes, dogs, raccoon dogs and cats (P Wilson – US Patent 6,662,754, 2003 – Google Patents)
- Genetics for dog breeders. (CMO Kapel, PR Torgerson, RCA Thompson… – International journal for …, 2006 – Elsevier)
- Patent Toxocara canis infections in previously exposed and in helminth-free dogs after infection with low numbers of embryonated eggs (R Robinson – 1982 – cabdirect.org)
- Derived variants at six genes explain nearly half of size reduction in dog breeds (AS Fahrion, S Staebler, P Deplazes – Veterinary parasitology, 2008 – Elsevier)