The following list contains the top 10 most popular little dogs in the world. These are the most popular breeds of puppies. There are many other small dog breeds which have been bred over time, but these ten are considered to be the best ones. They all share some common traits such as being friendly, playful and having a good temperament.
1. Pomeranian – The Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Pommeranians are very popular little dogs because they’re so adorable. They look like miniature poodles with their short legs and curly hair.
Their coats tend to be silky soft and long, making them ideal for running around in the grass or even snuggling up next to each other while sleeping! They love attention from everyone, especially their human family members!
2. Chihuahua – The Second Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Chihuahuas are one of the most popular little dog breeds because they’re just so darn lovable. They look like tiny chihuahuas with their long legs and pointed ears.
They have a sweet personality and make great companions for children.
3. Yorkshire Terrier – Third Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Yorkshire terriers are known as “little red pooches” because of their red hair and tail. They love to play games and are very athletic.
This breed is a good choice for older people or families with kids because they don’t shed and are very clean!
4. Maltese – Fourth Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Maltese are very similar to the Yorkshire Terrier except they’re white with long hair. They’re very energetic and playful.
They can jump really high and will often try to entertain themselves by getting into mischief.
5. Pekingese – The Fifth Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Pekinese are very small dogs with a lion’s mane of a coat. Despite their ferocious appearance, they are very friendly and playful dogs that love nothing more than cuddles and belly rubs!
6. Chug – The Sixth Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Chugs are very unusual looking dogs that are made by crossing a Chihuahua with a Beagle. Despite their unusual appearance and cute name, these dogs are very loving and sociable!
7. Dachshund – The Seventh Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Dachshunds come in three different varieties: smooth, long-haired, and wire-haired. Despite their long bodies, they’re very friendly and energetic.
They love running around in circles and playing games with their human companions!
8. Shih Tzu – The Eighth Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Shih Tzus are one of the more ancient dog breeds, originating from China. They have a round face with long hair that usually covers their eyes.
Despite their goofy appearance, these dogs are very smart and can easily learn tricks after only a couple of repetitions.
9. Maltipoo – The Ninth Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Maltipoos are a mixed-breed dog that comes from a Poodle and a Maltese. They have a cute curly hairstyle and love being around people.
They’re very playful and intelligent dogs that will often try to get your attention if they feel ignored for too long!
10. Pomsky – The Tenth Most Popular Little Dog Breed
Pomskys are a mixed breed dog that comes from a Pomeranian and a Siberian Husky. Despite their small size, they have a thick fur and like to howl at loud noises!
They’re very friendly little dogs that love being around people.
Please let us know if you enjoyed our list of the most popular little dog breeds. We’ll be back soon with more fun facts.
Sources & references used in this article:
- How to Raise Your New Puppy in a Cat Family: The Complete Guide to a Happy Pet-Filled Home (J Sonnenberg – 2010 – books.google.com)
- Caring for My New Puppy (J Bankston – 2019 – books.google.com)
- Exploring the dark side of pet ownership: Status-and control-based pet consumption (MB Beverland, F Farrelly, EAC Lim – Journal of Business Research, 2008 – Elsevier)
- Forty-two thousand and one Dalmatians: Fads, social contagion, and dog breed popularity (H Herzog – Society & animals, 2006 – brill.com)