What Can Dogs Eat?
The food that dogs like to eat depends on their physical condition, their health status, and other factors. Some breeds are better at digesting certain foods than others. Also some types of food may cause digestive problems in some dogs while they do not affect them in others.
Dogs have been known to consume raw meat, bones, organs and even whole fish without any problem. They can also swallow large amounts of these things with no ill effects.
However, if they ingest too much of one type of food, it will cause vomiting and diarrhea. If they ingest too little of a particular food, it could lead to malnutrition or even death.
Some types of dog foods contain ingredients such as wheat gluten which are considered harmful to dogs. These products should be avoided by all canine owners because they might cause stomach upset and other issues in your pet.
The dog food industry is not regulated in the same manner as the human food industry. There is no certainty that the ingredients listed on a package are actually in the can or bag you buy for your pet to eat.
It is believed that many of these products contain substandard or “by-product” ingredients that are unfit for human or even pet consumption in some cases.
Many online sources of information exist that discuss what is and is not appropriate to feed your dog. The ASPCA website (the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) is one example of an online source that provides this information for pet owners.
Tainted Food vs Food Allergies in Dogs
There are some dog foods that contain ingredients that a substantial number of dogs are allergic to or have adverse reactions to. This can result in vomiting and the diarrhea.
Sources & references used in this article:
- Why we love dogs, eat pigs, and wear cows: An introduction to carnism (M Joy – 2020 – books.google.com)
- Few dogs eat Whiskas or cats Alpo (K Johnson – UMOP, 2000 – cs.umanitoba.ca)
- Can dogs (Canis familiaris) detect human deception? (M Petter, E Musolino, WA Roberts, M Cole – Behavioural Processes, 2009 – Elsevier)
- 23. Do dogs eat like humans? Marine stable isotope signals in dog teeth from inland Zvejnieki (G Eriksson, I Zagorska – 2003 – researchgate.net)
- Having our dogs and eating them too: Why animals are a social issue (JA Serpell – Journal of Social Issues, 2009 – Wiley Online Library)
- Hepatitis in dogs; a review (J Rothuizen, TS Van Den Ingh – Tijdschrift voor diergeneeskunde, 1998 – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Good to pet and eat: The keeping and consuming of dogs and cats in South Korea (AL Podberscek – Journal of Social Issues, 2009 – Wiley Online Library)
- Can Dogs Eat Pickles? The (Good and Bad Way) Benefits (M Barham – 2020 – m-dog.org)
- Can Dogs Eat Pineapple?(What To Know) Before Giving It (M Barham – 2020 – m-dog.org)